How PH’s Hybrid Rice Companies Can Increase Their Sales – But Do Farmers Have To Spray All Those Pesticides!?

First, let me be clear: I am in favor of hybrid rice as a good part of the solution for the Philippines to attain rice self-sufficiency – I hope this year, 2021. I have already written about it; try “How Good Are Hybrid Rices In The Philippines[1]?” (06 January 2021, BraveNewWorld@PH)

Today, Sunday, 10 January 2021, browsing on Facebook, I notice that the hybrid rice companies in my country are not minding their own business! I mean, they are not actively assisting the farmers taking care of their plantings. I found that out when on Facebook, I scanned the page “Usapang Hybrid Rice” (Talking Hybrid Rice), “Group by Tatang Juan” (above, top image).

At this Facebook page, I read the entries and noticed that the farmers’ questions, answers and comments seemed innocent – but they were not. It has something to do with this:

The hybrid rice companies in the Philippines are not providing adequate advice and information to farmers. And that is not good – it may even be dangerous.

Here are some questions I selected from the unending list in Usapang Hybrid Rice (Taglish already translated):

(1)   What’s the best herbicide?

(2)   Please share the protocol for NK 5017 !!!

(3)   What can I spray after the first application of fertilizer?

(4)   I just wanted to share my experience.

(5)   Can I mix Bayluscide with Sofit? Please advice. Thanks.

(6)   How many days before I broadcast 0-0-60?

(7)   How many days before I fertilize after planting? And how many kilos of hybrid per hectare?

(8)   What’s a good fertilizer for first application?

(9)   What pesticide is good against black bugs?

(10)  What chemical do I use to encourage tillering?

(11)  What to spray after the first application of fertilizer?

(12)  Have you tried LongPing?

(13)  Can I use Fenale, and can I mix it with 2,4-D?

So many questions and so varied I just know that PH hybrid companies are not providing enough data and information to farmers to whom they sell their beloved rices.

(Can PhilRice be The Knowledge Provider? Asking for a friend.)

In the meantime, via Usapang Hybrid Rice, farmers can share experiences and/or ask questions – what about those who have no access to the Internet?

The hybrid companies are neglecting their consumers, and it’s their business!

This is the short list I have gathered of hybrid rices companies available in the Philippines: Advanta, Bayer, BioSeed, Corteva, LongPing, Monsanto, Pioneer, SeedWorks, SL Agritech, and Syngenta. If they continue to ignore the knowledge needs of their clients, should I simply dismiss it as, “It’s their own lookout. It’s their business!”

No Sir! It’s my business as a consumer – and communicator – to know, for instance, if my rice has pesticide residues in it. I thought 2,4-D was already banned in the Philippines? Bayluscide, Fenale, Sofit – what other chemicals may I find in my grain of hybrid rice?
(farmer spraying image
[2] from Canstockphoto.com)

Hybrid or inbred, I don’t want any pesticide residue in the rice I eat.@517

 



[1]https://bravenewworldph.blogspot.com/2021/01/how-good-are-hybrid-rices-in-philippines.html

[2]https://www.canstockphoto.com/farmers-spraying-pesticides-in-rice-28803066.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s Your 1K Worth Today? My 1K Is Worth Love In Communication For Village Development In The 21st Century (CoViD21)!

Knorr Of Big Business Unilever Thinks Big Business Regenerative Agriculture – My Tiny Country PH Also Should!

How Do We Celebrate “World Environment Day?” 2 Related Answers: “We Believe Farming Is The Biggest Job On Earth” – BASF. “Everyday Is Environment Day For Me!” – Frank A Hilario