PhilRice, Here Am I Checking How User-Friendly Is Your PalayCheck!?

A not-so-poor farmer’s son from Sanchez, Asingan, Pangasinan, I am an agriculture graduate of the premier agricultural university in the Philippines, UP Los Baños, 1965, BSA major in Ag Edu – I should know much about the growing of rice, right? Well, I don’t!

Right now, I’m thinking of how PH Agriculture with Secretary of Agriculture William Dar can serve the information needs of the 10 million Filipino farmers[1], as counted-reported by Zoilo “Bingo” Dejaresco III (12 September 2019, “The Tragedy Of The Filipino Rice Farmers,” Businessmirror.ph). Our farmers cannot grow enough rice, so we have to import – and the traders take advantage of all of us! We have to help our own farmers grow more rice.

If half of them planted only rice, that would give us 5 million farmers. To do right for everyone, we have to make sure that for those 5 million, their costs are minimum, their harvests are maximum, and their returns optimum.

Are we teaching them well? I will now check not by asking the farmers but by referring to their source of instructions or guide about planting irrigated lowland rice. So, here I am reading out the entries in Pinoy Rice Knowledge Bank[2] (Pinoyrice.com).

This is the first thing that appears on the website:

PalayCheck is a dynamic rice crop management system that:
(1) Presents the best key technology and management practices as Key Checks;
(2) Compares farmer practices with the best practices; and
(3) Learns through farmers’ discussion group to sustain improvement in productivity, profitability, and environment safety.

What is (all) that?! I expected farmer-friendly instructions, but it does not even present examples of “the best key technology and management practices!”

(I checked and, no, not even the IRRI Rice Knowledge Bank is farmer-friendly; likewise, it is only expert-friendly!)

Immediately, we need a Rice Knowledge Bank that even a high school student can understand and appreciate. For the sake of our farmers, ultimately for our sake.

As a lowland rice farmer of Asingan, Pangasinan, immediately I would need instructions or pieces of advice, such as these:

ü How much should I loan from our Nagkaisa Multipurpose Cooperative good for one cropping?
ü Which of the available hybrid rice varieties is best for my farm in barangay Sanchez?
ü How many kilos do I sow for transplanting?
ü How soon should I transplant?
ü What is the best distance for planting? Why?
ü Should I use the transplanter?
ü When is the best time to plant?
ü Where can I buy organic fertilizers? If I want to make my own, how do I do it?
ü What about organic pesticides? Instead, how do I make my own?

All that and more a farmer-friendly Rice Knowledge Bank should contain.

Not to forget – the language should be plain English even a high school student understands. (Later, the translations into Tagalog, Ilocano, Bisaya etc.)

My message to Mr Dar now is this:

Let us create a farmer-friendly Rice Knowledge Bank! (Websites for other crops can come later, when we’re happy with rice.)@517



[1]https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/09/12/the-tragedy-of-the-filipino-rice-farmers/#:~:text=TODAY%20there%20are%2010%20million,and%20they%20are%20in%20trouble.


[2]https://www.pinoyrice.com/palaycheck/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s Your 1K Worth Today? My 1K Is Worth Love In Communication For Village Development In The 21st Century (CoViD21)!

Knorr Of Big Business Unilever Thinks Big Business Regenerative Agriculture – My Tiny Country PH Also Should!

How Do We Celebrate “World Environment Day?” 2 Related Answers: “We Believe Farming Is The Biggest Job On Earth” – BASF. “Everyday Is Environment Day For Me!” – Frank A Hilario